Read Write Inc. is a whole-school literacy programme designed and developed by Ruth Miskin, one of the country’s leading authorities on teaching children to read. The programme aims to create fluent readers, willing writers and confident speakers.
Five key principles underpin the teaching in all Read Write Inc. sessions:
1) Participation – As they are in small groups, children participate fully in every session. They are able to maintain high levels of concentration and they do not miss key elements of the teaching.
2) Praise – Children work together as partners. They take turns to teach and praise each other. They are motivated by praise from their teachers and teaching assistants.
3) Pace – Sessions never drag. The lively pace keeps every child fully engaged and on task.
4) Purpose – Every instructor has been trained in Read Write Inc. methods. They know the purpose of each activity, and how it leads into the next.
5) Passion – Instructors, too, become passionate about their teaching as they see the children enjoying the progress they are making.
Each session lasts about an hour and includes a variety of activities delivered with pace and rigour. Children have the opportunity to learn sounds which are reinforced during the session with reading and writing activities – learning is put into practise.
As children progress through the levels, they are regularly assessed to ensure they are placed in groups most appropriate for them. If a child is found to be struggling, 1 to 1 sessions are arranged for him/her to catch up with the group. Children may also be ‘fast-tracked’ to a more able group when their progress warrants this.
We are delighted to report Read Write Inc. is already making an impact with many children achieving higher levels of reading than in the past.
We hold parent workshops, which are a great way for the children to show off their new skills, inform parents of what happens in the sessions and also how they can support their child at home.
To read our RWI policy please follow this link